Have you ever faced a situation when you have paid the income tax on time but still got the tax demand notice. It may happen at time when someone like your employer or CA etc is paying taxes on your behalf. Sometimes they may miss paying it on time which results in this issue.
Income Tax department has provided a way to check this problem. Now you can check your tax credit (Form 26AS) anytime online and take corrective measures if needed. This may avoid a lot of inconvenience.
Form 26AS contains details of:
- Tax deducted and collected on behalf of taxpayers
- Advance tax/self assessment tax/regular assessment tax etc deposited by taxpayers (PAN holders)
- Payment of refund during the financial year
- High value transactions in respect of shares, mutual funds etc
View form 26AS to ensure correct credit for the taxes paid/deducted:
- To avoid demand notice from the income tax department.
- For seamless processing of Income Tax Department Return and speedy issue of refunds
How to View Form 26AS?
• Option 1: Register for viewing Form 26AS by registering for e-filing on https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/. Registration is immediate, without any cost and does not obligate e-filing,
o After logging in click on My Account tab
o There will be an option View Your Tax Credit Statement (Form 26AS)
o It will take you to DOB verification page
o In the next step it will ask your permission to be redirected to the NSDL site where you have to press the confirm button
o You will be re-directed to your Form 26AS and you can select the assessment year in the top right corner for which you want to see the details.
o Please remember that Assessment year is 1 year ahead of the financial year. For example for FY 2011 – 12, the Assessment Year is 2012 –13
• Option 2: Through net banking facility of 19 authorized banks. Login to your net banking account and check if this facility is provided.
• Option 3: Through registration with NSDL
In case your tax deduction is not reflected correctly in your Form 26AS, ask the deductor to file the TDS statement/correct statement at TIN Facilitation centres.
About the Author:
Priya Rao is our in-house Financial Planner and a personal finance enthusiast. She is a Certified Financial Planner(CFP) and can be reached at email@example.com.
Income Tax Calculator