Fake notes have no exchange value. These means that if you go to the bank and deposit any forged notes, they would sign it and send it for further verification without giving you any exchange money. Fake notes is a growing menace in the country. So it is very important to check for the genuineness of all notes you receive-specially the larger denominations. We have put together all the signs and authentication marks through which you will be able to judge the authenticity of notes:
Source: Reserve Bank of India website
There are in all 11 markings or signs where you can check for authenticity of a fake note, say a Rs.500 note:
- The floral design marked by number one in the picture above is actually ‘500’ written half way. If you move the note against light you will be able to see the complete ‘500’ written on it.
- When viewed against light, this empty place has a hidden picture of Mahatma Gandhi, multi-directional lines and ‘500’ written on it.
- The colour of this ‘500’ appears green as such, but if you tilt the note to a certain angle, it would turn blue.
- The ground, on which the number of the note is printed, glows when exposed to ultraviolet light.
- This thread which appears broken is actually complete and can be looked at from behind when put against light. In addition to this, you will be able to see ‘Bharat’ ‘RBI’ and ‘500’ written on it.
- The ‘panch sau rupiye’ written in the middle as well as the ‘Reserve Bank of India’ written on the top of the note, are written in raised ink and can thus be felt by hand.
- Under the vertical floral design marked by number 7, you will find ‘500’ written when held against light.
- Behind Mahatma Gandhi’s portrait, you will find ‘RBI’ and ‘500’ written, if you look with the help of a magnifying glass.
- If you touch the note a little above the Ashoka emblem, you will be able to feel a small circle, although you won’t be able to see it.
- Right on the center bottom, on the back side of the note, the year the printing appears and you would be able to see it clearly.
- On the back side of the note, you will be able to identify ‘500’ entangled in the floral design. It would appear when looking at the note against light.
With these signs and markings you cannot miss out a fake note coming to you. It is for our own good to check every note that comes to us so as too help ourselves and our country weed out this evil.
About the Author:
Priya Rao is our in-house Financial Planner and a personal finance enthusiast. She is a Certified Financial Planner(CFP) and can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Doubling of money calculator