Yogi Zone

Useful articles for your finance management by our team of experts

Landlord PAN Mandatory for Rent Over 1 lakh P.A

22 Flares 22 Flares ×

hraexemptionAny salaried person would have heard of a term called HRA (House Rent Allowance). It not only gives benefit in the form of allowance but also gives an opportunity for tax exemption up to a certain limit. Almost every salaried employee takes this benefit. IT department also provides the facility of claiming tax benefit on HRA for rent paid to parents.

HRA exemption can be availed up to least of the following:

1)      Actual HRA received.

2)      Excess of rent paid over 10% of the salary.

3)      50% of salary if house is located in Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata or Chennai. 40% elsewhere.

Change in Rule

Until now, tax payers did not have to provide landlord’s PAN unless the rent was Rs. 1,80,000 p.a or Rs. 15,000 per month. However, IT department has put its foot forward in this regard and lowered the limit to declare landlord PAN to Rs. 1 lakh p.a or Rs. 8,333 per month. The reason IT department has brought about this new rule is because it believes there are a lot of fake receipts being submitted while claiming HRA exemption.

Know more about Tax Saving Investments

Landlord needs to report Income

The landlord has to report this income while filing his tax returns. If there is a discrepancy in reporting this income, he/she would face the consequences. Hence, people who are reporting to have paid rent to their parents for the purpose of HRA exemption need to be even more cautious now as they have to declare their parents PAN if rent crosses Rs.1 lakh p.a.

Exemption for Rent Receipts

However, employees who receive HRA up to Rs. 3,000 per month are not required to submit receipts for proof of rent paid. It may not benefit huge number of tax payers, though. This concession is only for the purpose of TDS (Tax Deduction at Source), and, in the regular assessment of the employee, the Assessing Officer will be free to make such enquiry as he deems fit for the purpose of satisfying himself that the employee has incurred actual expenditure on payment of rent.

If Landlord does not have PAN

In case the landlord does not have PAN, employee should submit a declaration stating the same along with the landlord’s details. The new rule is set to trouble the tax payers more as we know that a lot of landlords would be unwilling to submit PAN details or even give a declaration.

What if documents are not submitted?

The documents need to reach the IT department within February month of next calendar year. If it’s not the case, the HRA exemption given will be reversed and the entire HRA amount will be clubbed with the salary and taxed according to the tax slab.

This new rule is definitely a set back for a lot of salaried people since there were many of those who were claiming HRA exemption even without paying rents. But, even the honest tax payers would be hit hard on account of this new rule because of the reluctance of landlords to neither submit PAN nor give a declaration.

About the Author:

A.V.Suresh is our in-house Financial Planner and a personal finance enthusiast. He is a Certified Financial Planner(CFP) and also has an MBA in Finance. He can be reached at expert@investmentyogi.com


  • shivaraj katti

    Will this be effective from this calender year? I have some rental income from a property which is in my name(>1lac). But, the rent is being collected by my parents(non-tax payers) and is used by them for their needs. What are the tax implications on me regarding this?

    • Yogi Cfp

      Yes, it is applicable from this calendar year on wards. If this property is your only one, you can show it as self occupied since govt allows showing so for tax purpose. Income will be nil for self occupied property. In any other case, you can show the amount as gift to your parents.

      • shivaraj katti

        Thank You for the reply.

  • dk

    Gov. also has to declare how efficiently they are utilizing the collected tax.

    Simply giving everything at free to make sure they can come back to power or giving RICE free. providing laptops. tablets, cycles etc freely, dividing the society on the basis of cast, religion etc. charging oninos 70rs, tomatos 50rs..removing the minimum subsidies on petrol and diesel…well the list goes on….the gov has made the middle income people as their slaves. they tax every second of our life…They know we don’t vote during elections and all those votes that come from low class and if they provide everything at free to them they again vote them to power..common why the hell should they vote somebody if they are getting everything at free…(at others cost…)..BTW i buy rice from them as they don’t know what to do with so much of rice….well you just cant rice alone…..

    • Yogi Cfp

      Rightly said. Tax collection is not the only thing that govt has to do. It has to use it efficiently in building infrastructure and enhance growth.

  • Tarak

    What is the procedure to submit the declaration in case landlord does not have PAN card.

    • Av Suresh

      There is no specific process for submitting the form. Form can be a simple declaration on a paper with landlord’s and your names, property details and rent amount with landlord’s signature. You need to submit this form to your employer.

      • Tarak

        We have been submitting the rental agreement copy to employer. Does again declarations is required.

        • Av Suresh

          Yes, Tarak. This declaration is specifically to state that the landlord does not hold a PAN. This statement also has to be included in the form for clarification. In case of non-submission of declaration, hra benefits would be reversed.

          • Kiran Kiran

            HI Suresh,
            I have PAN and landlord signed rent receipt to be submitted to my fin team.

            am i also need to submit rental agreement along with PAN# AND RENT RECEIPT ?

  • Bharath

    Nice Article Bhai!

    • Av Suresh

      Thank you Bharath.

  • Sunil

    If landlord has PAN and does not provide it then what is the solution?

    • Av Suresh

      There have been lot of such instances in the past. This is the very reason why this decision is believed to be a set back for many tax payers. Unfortunately, IT department has not shown an alternative if landlord does not provide PAN even though he has it.

      • Ishan Dhawlikar

        Suresh, than what is the alternative. I find this very difficult, and my landlord does not stay in Bangalore and he hardly come to India as she is Green Card holder in US……

        • Yogi Cfp

          If she is willing to send you a declaration or the pan card scan copy in an email, she can do so. You can take a print out of the same and submit it.

  • Ritu

    I have changed 3 rental houses in 4 years in NCR. None of the owners were ready to provide PAN Card or rental receipts. 2 out of 3 did not get rental agreements made and all of them want rent in cash or self cheque to prevent reflection of rental income in their account. This is the story with every other landlord here. What is the way out for claiming HRA for tenants paying huge rents. The impractical procedures by the Govt. lead to malpractices and double victimization of the less powerful entity.

    • Av Suresh

      Exactly, Ritu. Lot of taxpayers have been complaining to the IT department, but to no use. It is definitely not a win-win situation for them.

  • Rajendra Prasad

    Dear Mr Suresh,

    I have read with interest your post. My father who is now 88 years old who lives on pension and does not submit his returns anymore. He retired from a senior position in Railways and lives in his own house.

    Off and on, he lets his upper flat on rent exceeding his pension. If he retains a tenet now and provides his PAN Card, what would be the implication?

    Shall be grateful for your advice.

    Sincerely yours,

    Rajendra Prasad

    • Av Suresh

      This would be a case of partial let out of the property. However, you can claim 30% deduction on income from let out property. Hence, the rental income from the let out portion shown would be Rent less 30% on Rent. He can provide his PAN card. Please note that super senior citizens (above 80 years of age) need not pay tax if total income is up to Rs. 5 lakh p.a.

  • harru

    Hi Suresh
    Great article. just one question- i satyed in a rented house for 6 month and rent was 12000 and then i moved out in my own house. do i have to give my land lord PAN details because total is less then 1 Lac but monthly is more then 8333. in the same case if you stay in multiple house in same year where alone is less then 100000 but combined is more. the land lord will not give the PAN but you will be claiming more.

    • Av Suresh

      Thank you. In the first case PAN is not mandatory since rent is less than 1 lakh p.a, however in second case total rent is more than 1 lakh. Hence, PAN would be needed to claim HRA exemption.

  • Indian

    Income Tax department is behaving like a loin in-front of common man but same department behave like a fox in-front of corporates and politicians and businessman

    • Av Suresh

      Well said. The system has been as such. It needs to change for the common man.

  • Santhosh

    I have my Lanlords PAN number but he is not signing the rent Receipt. Can I sign his name and provide the correct PAN number. I want to know what is the impact of this,Whether the IT dept will cross verify his tax filing for rental income.
    Is there any problem for me?

    Suresh need your Valuable reply

    • Av Suresh

      It’s always a risk doing that, since IT department could cross verify. However, we are not 100% sure of cross verification process since IT department has not made this clear till now. If you are caught while doing this, you might face problems from IT dept.

  • Av Suresh

    Q. My landlord is not willing to give his pan what can I do now. I have paid 10500 /month from april-june. (31500 ). in june i changed the flat and my current agreement is on 11500 per month which comes 103500 upto march 31st. Is there any way?
    A. You can ask for a declaration from him. If he rejects, unfortunately you do not have any other option but to declare rent for an amount below Rs.1 lakh p.a

    • kavitha k

      hi my owner is not ready to give PAN copy but she has signed teh declaration along with PAN number is that sufficient ..

      • Av Suresh

        Yes, that would be sufficient.

  • Av Suresh

    Q. I pay rent to my landlords (Husband and wife) of 75000 each p.a. Hence i pay rent of 1.5 lacs (75000 to husband and 75000 to wife).They are not ready to give their PAN. Do i need to declare their PAN to my employer as the amount of rent paid to each landlord is less than 1 lac p.a. (i.e 75000 only)
    A. Yes, you need to declare the PAN numbers of your landlords since the total HRA being claimed by you is more than Rs. 1 lakh p.a.

  • Yogi Cfp

    Q. If the landlord does not have a PAN number, I have the declaration format which he have to sign on. However, it can be done on a white paper or stamp paper is required?
    A. It can be done on a white paper with your landlord’s name and signature. It should specify the fact that your landlord does not hold a PAN.

  • Imran

    Dear Mr. Suresh,
    Good Evening

    I would seek your advice on one query that I have. I am paying a house rent RS 8100 per month (less than 1Lakh per annum) is it mandatory for me to submit PAN CARD or RENTAL AGREEMENT of my landlord. Actually I have not made any rental agreement with my landlord and as the annual rent is less than RS 1lakh per annum so I have not asked my landlord for his PAN CARD. My company finance department I feel is also not clear on this aspect and are asking me to either submit a rental agreement or PAN CARD of the landlord for even rent less than 1 lakh per annum.

    The help and advice I seek from you is whether for a rental of less than 1Lakh per annum do I need to submit rental agreement or PAN card or is just a stamped receipt of my landlord more than enough.

  • Arvind

    How much money you can take from abroad, while travelling to India?

    • Av Suresh

      RBI says that a person coming into India from abroad can bring with him foreign exchange without any limit. However, if the aggregate value of the foreign exchange in the form of currency notes, bank notes or travellers cheques brought in exceeds USD 10,000 or its equivalent and/or the value of foreign currency alone exceeds USD 5,000 or its equivalent, it should be declared to the Customs Authorities at the Airport in the Currency Declaration Form (CDF), on arrival in India.

  • VVVV

    Hi Suresh,

    Went through your comments thanks for all the guidance

    I have a question

    House is on Mothers name and dad is a nominee,but dad does not have an income,can i show as i am giving rent to him and give his PAN card details as per the new rule

    Appreciate your quick response


    • Av Suresh

      Unfortunately, this is not possible. You can submit PAN card only of the owner.

  • kris

    I stayed the first five months at a house where the rent was 10,000 per month and then moved to another house where the rent is again 10,000 per month. The total HRA claimed will be 1,20,000. Do i need the PAN number of both the house owners? I have the PAN number of the house owner that I am currently staying at(7 months). Is this enough?

    • Av Suresh

      Yes, you would need both the PAN cards. In case you provide only one, your employer may grant you the benefit for only that period.

  • http://www.twitter.com/the_hacker_boy Hacker Boy

    Hi, we are three friends sharing a flat with each one claiming about 8000. Rent agreement mentions all three names and total rent is 24000. Do we all need to furnish PAN Card of the owner?

    • Av Suresh

      No, furnishing of PAN of the landlord in not needed in this case since share of rent is only Rs. 8,000 per individual.

      • ramu

        I have a similar situation. The landlord is providing me a single receipt for all 3 tenants sharing the flat. So the total rent received by owner is more than 1 lach, however if individual claim is seen it is less than 1 lakh for each tenant. Do we need the owners PAN number on the receipt?

        • Yogi Cfp

          In such a case, owners PAN is not needed.

          • ssr

            I have similar situation as “ramu”. We 4 friends are living together. In rent agreement all four’s name is mentioned. Individually we are paying less than 1 lakh but total rent is more then 2 lakh. Our employer required pan card detail of the owner can we all can submit the same pan card detail

          • damodar

            is there any rule which says the rent should be equally distributed for exemption among no. of tenants in case of sharing accomodation because a per son can be occupying a room and paying extra in the same flat.

  • krishna

    I stayed in a house for 5 months at the beginning of the year where the rent was 10,000 per month after which I moved to my current house with the same rent. While claiming tax exemption, should I provide the PAN number of both the house owners along with the rent receipts or can I provide the PAN number of the current owner only?

    • timba


    • Av Suresh

      The point you have specified is not clear from the IT department. However, it all depends on whether your employer accepts it or not. If they need both the PAN cards, you might have to submit both.

  • Manish Rathi

    Thanks for the info. I have claimed HRA exemption for the FY 2012-13 and i have also got the landlord PAN no. How do i need to submit the information to IT department before Feb. What is the procedure for that.

    • Av Suresh

      You should be submitting the PAN card to your employer for claiming exemption. The previous rent limit was Rs. 1,80,000 p.a or Rs. 15,000 per month.

  • Haana

    Hi, if someone is paying 5000rs rent but have 15000rs as HRA as per salary, can he give someone’s PAN instead of original owner. For example, if he gives his Mother in law or father is law PAN number (say, for example, they are NOT working and not filing their Tax Returns), will he be caught by any chance?

    • Av Suresh

      Haana, if your employer is ready to accept it, you can submit the same. However, if you are caught by IT dept while doing this, all your accounts might be scrutinized.

      • Haana

        Ok. If the address given is my mother in law’s address, how can they caught me? Will they (IT) verify address with my employer and address specified in rental reciepts?

        • Av Suresh

          They may or may not verify.

  • Allan

    Do I have to have a rental agreement if I’m paying rent to my mother or will the rent receipt do to get HRA exemption? The issue is that I want to claim HRA exemption for the whole financial year but haven’t made any agreement with my mother.

    • Av Suresh

      Allan, rent receipt would be enough to claim hra exemption.

  • Dushyant Dangi

    can any one pls suggest
    i pay rent of Rs 8100 per month in New delhi, and have given rent receipt & rent agreement to my employer, my rent is less than Rs.100000 per annum, as per new circular of CBDT (HRA exemption of over Rs 8,333 a month will need the landlord`s PAN card details), but my employer is still asking for the PAN card details of the Land lord to which my land lord is not willing to provide the same. (i am from jaipur, Rajasthan, with all ID and PAN card address proof from Jaipur). pls suggest what should I do? or i have to bear this additional tax burden on my salary. if unable to submit the PAN card details to my employer. pls reply

    • Av Suresh

      If the rent is less than Rs. 1 lakh p.a, you need not submit landlord PAN. Please specify this to your employer. Have you tried taking a declaration from your Landlord?

  • rahulsampath

    I have started staying on rental from the start of August and I was paying 12000/month. So the total amount I have paid is Rs.96000 that financial year. So would I have to submit my land lord’s pan card.

    • Av Suresh

      Not needed, Rahul.

  • Girish

    Hi, Need a suggestion please.
    For 2 different rented accommodation in the same financial year and Rent amount exceeding 1L combined,(individually less than 1Lakh each) – Is it mandatory to submit both Landlords’ PAN?

    • Av Suresh

      Yes, Girish. You need to submit PAN details of both the landlords.

      • sandeep kumar

        If i am paying 5000 /month to my land lord then is pan number required

  • skr

    Hi Suresh,
    In my rental home 2 IT personals are staying, If I disclose my PAN number all they can use my PAN number and for tax benifit they can file more than what I am receiving, what is the impact on me if that happens. How to avoid such case.

    • Av Suresh

      Only in rare cases does IT department cross check the revenue received by landlord and that given by tenant. It is better that you have the receipts/agreements in place just in case such things happen. Cheques or Online transfers should be preferred to avoid such cases.

  • Subrat

    Hi.. I joined a company in September. Monthly I am paying 10,000 as rent. Should I mention land lord PAN number?

    • Av Suresh

      Not needed, since the annual rent did not cross Rs. 1 lakh for you.

  • kush

    Dear Suresh,

    My landlord has a pan card but he is not willing to share the same with me. But he is ready to sign on the declaration from that states

    ” I hereby declare that I have not applied for PAN No and I have given my house __________________________________________________________________________ (house address) on rent to _____________________________________ (Employee Name ).”

    Now, my question is that, if i forward the same declaration duly signed by him to my finance dept., is there any chance that he might get caught by our Indian IT dept.? I mean to say, can the IT dept. trace someone’s pan no by simply putting his/ her name in to their system?

    • Yogi Cfp

      It is difficult to state how IT dept traces such cases. However, practically it may not want to check PAN details of all the owners for HRA.

  • kaushik

    my landlord’s yearly income (2013-14) is Rs.132000/- only from his house. how much tax he should pay this year?

    • Yogi Cfp

      The rental income will be added to the overall income and taxed as per his tax slab.

  • Mahesh


    My mother and I own a house. I live in the house with my wife. My Mother dont live with us.
    For occupying the full house, I pay rent to my mother. Also she is financially dependant on myself.
    Can I claim HRA in this case?


    • Av Suresh

      Yes, you can claim HRA in this case.

  • Pallavit Saraf

    Recently I shifted to new rental house. The house owner has given me the PAN No. of his daughter(she is studying in college and no source of income). Although the house is not in daughter’s name.

    They are saying me to submit daughter’s PAN no. . In that way, I will be able to get HRA exemption and their daughter doesnt need to pay tax as total rent she will be getting is less than the tax exemption limit.

    Is it correct ? Shall I do it or not

    • Av Suresh

      You can submit it if the employer is ready to accept that she is the owner of your house that you live in. Moreover, if the daughter is a minor, this income will be added to her father’s income.

      • Pallavit Saraf

        She is about 19-20 years. So she is not minor.
        And I don’t think that employer might be able to know that who is the real owner of the house and the PAN card is of the owner or of someone else

      • gaur

        owner name is different and pan is of diff person . how it will work

  • Imtiyaz Mohammad

    Is it necessary to submit the landlord’s PAN number even if we do online transfer of rent amount or by cheque?

    • Av Suresh

      You need to submit the PAN in either of these cases.

      • Imtiyaz Mohammad

        So the objective of the gov is to trouble the common man. This is real crap.

  • nilesh

    Having said all that, tenant provided the Landlord PAN details to employer. How is this information going to reach IT department.
    Is it employers job to post the details about the tenant (for whom company is deducting the tax at source) and Landlord (to which tenant has paid the rent).

    What are the chances that IT department will cross-check these details? and under what circumstances??

    Any ideas?? Any guesses??

    • Av Suresh

      Its the employers job to provide these details to IT department.

  • prem

    I have rented out my flat and without knowing the implication and on the advice of one CA, I have included the rental income along with my pension income and paid the required tax.will I be penalized for not declaring this in previous years.

    • Av Suresh

      If there was a penalty, it could have been notified to you by now.

  • Sachin

    If I show that I have paid HRA of less than 1L to my parents , is it mandatory for my parents to show that as an income from house?

  • kumar

    My employer considered only 4 months rental slips for hra. How can I claim remaining 8 months hra in the it returns. Do I need to send rental agreement and rental slips along with the it returns form. Where should i claim remaining hra

  • sandeep jaiswal

    Hi Suresh,

    If i have not provided the landlord’d PAN number to my employer within the defined time period in the concerned financial year and thus I could not able to claim HRA as per the actual payment of house rent which is rupees 20000 pm. Can I now claim refund by showing more rent paid through ITR-1 , would that be considered.
    Please advice…

    • Av Suresh

      You can claim refund while filing ITR. However, for FY 2013-14, tax refund cannot be claimed since the due date is already over. Only filing can be done.

  • Heramb Kulkarni

    Hi.i am getting a rent of 14000 from a flat which is in joint name of me and my wife. Can I give her pan number as she is not working. please help

    • Av Suresh

      Yes, that can be done.

      • Heramb Kulkarni

        Even though the payment has been done from my income only?

      • Heramb Kulkarni

        Even though I have paid all the emi s for the flat. Pls help

        • Av Suresh

          Yes, that should not be a problem. EMIs come in when you claim home loan exemption whereas rental income is income from house property.

          • sandeep kumar

            Sir suppose land lord is not filing itr and his rent income more then lacs and land lord his not willing to give pan no. What to do

  • latha

    does a senior citizen have to pay Income tax . The person has worked in the state government and owns a flat.

    • Av Suresh

      Yes, if total income from all sources is above Rs. 3 lakh p.a

      • latha

        the total income from all sources in not more than 3 lakhs

  • latha

    my friend has registered and got selected for a contest by Intel where Intel would be sending a camera for development of software. It is a loner camera and needs to be returned to them after 6 months.They have asked for the PAN CARDS details of my friend.She is a student and does not have one. Anyways is it safe to provide her parents PAN CARDS I HAVE READ MUCH THAT GIVING PAN CARD DETAILS IS A DANGEROUS THING What wold you advise???Need a reply very urgently

  • kumar

    I am in a rented house and paying Rs.3000 as rent. i am getting a HRA of Rs.1400/ per month. my 10 % of basic salary is Rs.2200.
    since my landlord is not ready to give PAN or rent receipt or declaration or rent agreement, can i claim ( the least on the above cited ) Rs.(1400 *12) 16800 as dedections under HRA, with out any receipts? (as you mentioned in the above article “However, employees who receive HRA up to Rs. 3,000 per month are not
    required to submit receipts for proof of rent paid. It may not benefit
    huge number of tax payers, though.”)

  • Gada

    I just want to know, do I need to submit PAN card of the owner . From April – June 2014 I have paid rent of total Rs.30000/- and then I got transferred to other city and from July 2014 to April 2015..I would be paying Rs.90000/-, Total rent paid for the year is Rs 1,20000/-. Now when I reach the house owner he is saying as you have n’t paid more than 1 lakh, I willn’t provide pan details or not sign any form

  • Gada

    I just want to know, do I need to submit PAN card of the owner . From April – June 2014 I have paid rent of total Rs.30000/- and then I got transferred to other city and from July 2014 to April 2015..I would be paying Rs.90000/-, Total rent paid for the year is Rs 1,20000/-. Now when I reach the house owner he is saying as you have n’t paid more than 1 lakh, I willn’t provide pan details or not sign any form

  • Kiran Kiran

    HI team,
    I have PAN and landlord signed rent receipt to be submitted to my fin team.

    am i also need to submit rental agreement along with PAN# AND RENT RECEIPT ?

  • Gana


    I am paying 11,500 rent every month. My owner is not willing to give me his PAN for tax declaration. But he said he can give me his wife’s PAN number. But the rental agreement has the lessor as the owner and not his wife. Will there be any problem if i submit his wife’s PAN number, instead of his PAN number?

  • Mukesh

    Hi Suresh,

    I changed my company on 23rd december. I have not submitted rent receipt in my previous company so i didn’t got HRA exemption there. My current company HR is saying that i can only show rent receipt from 23rd december.
    Kindly suggest how can i claim tax exemption for previous months (April to November). With the job my city is also changed.

  • Deep Ganesh

    Hi Everyone..scouring the internet for getting answers to our questions is good but no one place has answers to all questions. I was trying to find a forum to get such question answered and found a great one. It is new but have a feeling that it’s going to be helpful for folks so posting here have a look. https://muut.com/yearend

  • pooja

    Hi Suresh,

    I made the investment declaration for HRA: 96000, LIC: 25000 and PPF 12,000 in my previous company….But there have been few changes in amounts which is LIC: 27313 and Rent : 69000….I have not opened PPF…what am i suppose to do now? I want to change the investments declared?

    what is the procedure? Also, i have joined a new company…So, which investments I shd show?

  • Jayesh Arora

    Hi Mr Suresh,
    I own a house in Mumbai and have been paying my maintenance rentals on monthly basis. From January to March I had to moved into a rented apartment as my house had to undergo renovation. I have rented an apartment @ 15000 pm. Can I claim exemption under HRA

  • Neha

    Hi.. nice article.
    I am paying 20k rent for my house. However, landlord does not want to share his pan no. Can I submit a declaration stating that he does not have pan number and avail 20*12=240k HRA benefit? SInce 240k<250k (lowest tax slab), I guess it should be okay for a person to have this much income without PAN card?

  • http://www.hiyer.net/ harish iyer

    Hi Suresh, I am amazed to read the patience with which you reply to every query. I have one too. I live in navi mumbai. My employer insists that it is mandatory to submit a rent agreement – REGISTERED BY THE MUNICIPALITY with my rent receipts. My rent is over 1,00,000 a year. Is he misinformed? Is there any such mandatory requirement?

  • sandeep

    Hi Suresh i have a big doubt regarding tax exemtion in this HRA related. My company give me an HRA of 4839/month. Now if i claim a house rent of 8333/month will the tax be calculated on 3494 i.e., 8333-4839. or on total 8333/month. N how much % is exemped from the total rent paid if i pay 100000/ annum. Please reply me to my mail if possible gudikandula.sandeep@gmail.com. Thanks in advance.

  • Shanu Khemka

    Hi Suresh,

    My monthly rent is Rs. 15000. My Landlord has provided me a PAN which is in the name of a Company. Now, when I am trying to enter the PAN details to claim HRA in the Investment/HRA declaration form of the Company, they are not accepting the same stating that “the PAN No. of the landlord is invalid”.

    How can I claim HRA and declare PAN No. of the landlord who is showing rent income in the name of a Company.

  • Ganesh Pai

    Hi Suresh,

    My father is now 88 years old and does not have a PAN. If I were to claim HRA above the 1Lp.a, would he still need to declare a no-PAN certificate? What is the procedure for this? Please advise.

  • Shiva

    Hi Suresh
    I show my rent paid to my mother. She doesn’t have any other income other than this and also doesn’t have a pan card. What should I do

  • nidhi

    Hi Suresh

    i have rent agreement.
    I’m staying in this flat since nov 14 and been jobless till now….

    my owner is not willing to give me his pancard nor want to give me rent receipts above 8333

    what should I do….he wanted cash but I do online monthly rent transfer?

    Though i can get his pancard from the bankers as mines and his are same, though I don’t want to use this practice but im clueless as my landlord says if i want rent receipts above 8333 ill have to pay him 30% of more rent …how can he take his income tax liability from me?

  • Neena Singh

    Hi Suresh
    my father is farmer and mother is house wife, both are
    depend on me, my mother is suffering from CKD ( Chronic Kidney Disease). can expenses on treatment for CKD ( Chronic Kidney Disease) stage 3 be filed under chronic renal failure for
    benefit under 80DD

  • Nikhil Jain

    Hi Suresh,

    My Yearly rent is 1 lakh exactly , then also I have to provide owners PAN no.
    And as owner is unwilling to provide PAN no what can be done.

    Regards Nikhil

  • Gane


    I am staying in Pune and rent is 12000/- (Landlord PAN number i have) and my parents are staying in Tamil nadu is my home town where i am paying 8000 /- (Land lorn pan number not needed) per month as they are dependents and no income from any source. after i started to work, my family become good in wealth like middle class family.
    I have two questions they are
    1) Can i claim both rent as HRA?
    2) If yes, How to mention in the IT declaration?
    3) or how to combine two rent receipt in the IT declaration?

    Your answer is highly valuable to me. and

    Thanks and Regards

  • Suresh

    I have changed 3 houses during last financial year 2014-15.

    Stayed from March to September in first house with Rent paid as 16,000 per month

    Stayed from October to March in second house with Rent paid as 14,500 per month

    Stayed in March in third house with Rent paid as 16,000 per month..

    Do i need to give whose PAN card or not at all required to give PAN card of any of these landlord..

  • brij

    Seeking your guidance a plot was allotted by DDA to me and LEASEDEED WAS done on 12/07/13 and convayence deed was created after a year i.e. 12/07/14 if I wish to sell the plot what will be position for saving of capital gain. Stamp Duty was charged by Registrar office at the time of LEASEDEED and Registrar office entered the details on their record and my signature thumb impression was taken. At the time of CONVEYENCE deed DDA
    charged transfer duty for 3555/ and it is also noted in REGISTRAR OFFICE.
    I will be obliged for your guidance and suggestion if any.

  • Vignesh


    I pay 15000 as rent per month. My landlord initially agreed to provide PAN no and now did a complete U-turn and refusing to sign declaration or provide PAN. I transfer rent to his bank account every month and so it all the more doesn’t make sense as to why he is not providing his PAN no. I have however figured out his PAN number from a neighbour to whom he had sold the flat. So my question is

    1. Will he get to know if I submit his PAN number without him knowing about it? Will it have any implication on me?

    2. Or should I make the declaration of no PAN with his signature missing, and attach my bank account statement of transfer of rent every month to his account along with rent agreement?

  • Chaitanyapradeep Sarvabotla

    Hi Suresh, My landlord is not ready to give the PAN Number, but I have rental agreements and rent receipts. Can I submit the same for HRA exemption? or how do i need to proceed

  • Banu

    hi , I have pan card of my landlord’s , but i dont have the photocopy of the same , is that sufficient to submit the landlords declation form

  • Banu

    hi , I have pan card of my landlord’s with the house rent of 21000, but i dont have the photocopy of the same , is that sufficient to submit the landlords declaration form along with the house aggrement and rent recipient

  • Sandeep


    How do we need to furnish the PAN no. of landlord? Do we need to mention the same on rent receipt or need to submit xerox of his PAN card?

  • Jyothi Raj

    I have stayed in first house for 6 months with rent 8k and moved to new house for 9.5k.Do I have to mention PAN or rental agreement and recepit enough?

  • Krishna Prasad

    Hi Suresh, for 10 months of 2015-16 I stayed in first house (12000 p.m.), Land lord refused to give Pan no. Threw me out for asking. New house Rent 15000 p.m. Landlord gave pan no( Feb & Mar 2016. Can I declare my total rent as 1.3 laks with 1 lac fro 10 months no pan and 30 k with pan no. Will it be ok

  • pratik parag

    Hi suresh, i have filed hra this year but by mistake i have filled more amount as compare to what i was actually paying. So can you tell me how it will effect my land lord. Is there any way to rectify this mistake

  • Mangalick Mitra

    Hi Suresh,
    Am living in an apartment which I rented via NestAway. I had signed the rent agreement when I moved in. It has been over a month now and am yet to receive the signed copy(i.e. with the landlord’s sign on it) despite multiple calls, reminders and requests. What step can I take regarding this? Can I move to consumer’s court?

  • Amit Sharma

    Hi Suresh,
    I have paid 17500 per month to my landlord for 8 months. However, my landlord is not providing me his PAN card details…neither is he giving me rent receipts. What do I do??

22 Flares Facebook 18 Google+ 4 Twitter 0 Email -- 22 Flares ×