Have you tried our Free Financial Planner yet? Have you tried our improved Calculators yet? Check out our new Insurance Tutorial Check out our new Investment Tutorial

How to Claim Tax Benefit for HRA, Medical in ITR?

Last post 07-25-2013 10:15 AM by Expert. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-14-2013 8:41 PM

• bsatish1
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-23-2011
    • Posts 1
    • Points 20

How to Claim Tax Benefit for HRA, Medical in ITR?

I am working for a private company and left the Company in DEC 12 and after that for that full financial year i did not work any where. While leaving the organisation i did not provide them any investment proof like HRA,MEDICAL or any other tax investment proof. They have deducted the tax for the entire amount and the same is shown in the Form 16. Now how do i go about to claim this tax benefit.
    • Post Points: 20
  • 07-15-2013 11:10 AM In reply to

• Expert
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-19-2009
    • Posts 717
    • Points 5,550

Re: How to Claim Tax Benefit for HRA, Medical in ITR?

bsatish1:
    I am working for a private company and left the Company in DEC 12 and after that for that full financial year i did not work any where. While leaving the organisation i did not provide them any investment proof like HRA,MEDICAL or any other tax investment proof. They have deducted the tax for the entire amount and the same is shown in the Form 16. Now how do i go about to claim this tax benefit.
    You can claim tax benefit for HRA and Medical allowance while filing ITR. Just mention the amount in the allowances field (exempt u/s 10). You need not submit any proofs while filing IT returns.
  • 07-17-2013 4:50 PM In reply to

Thanks but I am not able to find the section 10 in "TAXES AND DEDUCTION" page.

Since this allowence is not  declared in form-16, we need to declare from outside.

• 07-17-2013 4:52 PM In reply to

• Expert
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-19-2009
    • Posts 717
    • Points 5,550

milapdesai1984:

Thanks but I am not able to find the section 10 in "TAXES AND DEDUCTION" page.

Since this allowence is not  declared in form-16, we need to declare from outside.

All such exemptions (combined value) u/s 10 need to entered in the allowances page in form 16 information.
  • 07-18-2013 1:34 AM In reply to

• Ballyji
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-17-2013
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40

There are two pages 1) Income Details with Deductions under chapter VI A. 2) TDS details as per Form 16 where to enter the income after exemption from HRA

• 07-19-2013 1:21 PM In reply to

• Expert
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-19-2009
    • Posts 717
    • Points 5,550

Ballyji:

There are two pages 1) Income Details with Deductions under chapter VI A. 2) TDS details as per Form 16 where to enter the income after exemption from HRA

You need to enter it in the Salary field in the EnterSalaryInfoFromForm16.aspx page of the form (if you have select salary with form 16 option in the Get Started Page). Enter the allowances (like HRA, Conveyance, etc) in the Allowance field of the same page.
  • 07-24-2013 9:06 AM In reply to

Hi, I cannot find any such Place in ITR. The tabs are: Income Details, TDS, Taxes Paid and verification, 80G. In Income Details Tab, there is a row to enter "Income from Salary / Pension (Ensure to fill Sch TDS1) " on which only one value can be entered. Cannot find any option to enter allowances.
  • 07-25-2013 10:15 AM In reply to

• Expert
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-19-2009
    • Posts 717
    • Points 5,550

sweetubarbie:
    Hi, I cannot find any such Place in ITR. The tabs are: Income Details, TDS, Taxes Paid and verification, 80G. In Income Details Tab, there is a row to enter "Income from Salary / Pension (Ensure to fill Sch TDS1) " on which only one value can be entered. Cannot find any option to enter allowances.
    Let us know if you are trying to file taxes from InvestmentYogi. If yes, please select the salary from form 16 option. In the concerned page, you can enter all allowances in the allowances field.
    • Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Control Panel
Admin Console