Thank you for writing in to us. Below is the answer to your query
What is the difference between Gold ETFs and e-Gold? Which is the best way to invest. I am a beginner to the investments
Investors can invest in gold through ETFs as well through e-gold of national spot exchange.There are some minor differences in ETF and e-gold.
- Fund managers track gold prices through Net Asset Value (NAV).NAV of Gold ETF is net of liabilities so NAV and returns of different ETFs are different.
- While in NSEL e-gold investors directly tracks gold prices.
- NAV of ETFs are inclusive of custodian charges.while NSEL do not charge any holding charges.
- In e-gold ,investors are directly holding the gold units ,,,while in Gold ETFs gold is actually owned by mutual fund AMCs.
- Physical delivery in small denominations is possible in e-gold.while in gold ETFs physical delivery depends on sole discretion of ETFs.
- ETFs may offer delivery for investors holding Gold of higher amount.
- We can invest in gold ETF only up to 3:30 PM IST as market get closed.while spot market is open till midnight and we can invest in e-gold series till 11:30 PM.Suppose if gold ETF closed with NAV of 2300 (Time : 3:30 pm) and get closed at e-gold at 2330(At 11:30 pm).Then there is a difference of Rs.30 per gram in both the prices.Gold ETF will try to cover up this difference on opening itself.Investors will not get opportunity to get the price in between.
- In both cases,buy-sell intraday/delivery brokerages are payable which are in general in the range of 0.3 to 1%.
- E-gold will be taxed like a Physical gold while Gold ETFs are taxed as Non equity mutual fund
From above, we can observe that E-gold has got edge over Gold ETF. So, it is recommended to to invest in gold via E-gold. For more information click Here
(You can open a free account with us where you can transact mutual funds online at free of cost.To know more Click Here)